Wednesday, December 10, 2014

I'm not a honeybee

Interesting question from a co-worker, what happens to foraging honeybees if their hive is destroyed while they're out flying? Well, the answer is they attempt to enter another nest or hive. They'll arrive bearing gifts of pollen and nectar and sometimes are accepted in the new hive and other times killed by guard bees because their pheromones are alien. What is certain is there's no possibility of survival alone. Honeybees' existence is dependent upon the size of the nest. Too few bees during the winter and they're unable to generate enough food stores or heat to survive, too many and they'll exhaust their food stores before the spring nectar flow and die en masse. It's an apt analogy for my present circumstances, I've lost my nest, but I don't have the will to join another. Good thing I'm not a honeybee and am capable of surviving on my own, even when I fly home and find everything's been destroyed in my absence.

No comments: