Tuesday, September 30, 2014

There's a certain slant of light that portends the end of summer. And this summer is hard to let go, it was perfect, cool with rain spaced perfectly to forgo garden watering. The bees filled an extra honey super, so I stole it, but made sure to leave enough for them for the winter. I've had a great summer kayaking on the weekends, and if the tall kayaking boots I ordered ever come in I hope to extend the season till the ice comes. People in my kayaking group say it's magical to kayak in the snow.  I've eaten well from my garden: asparagus, kale, sweet peas, raspberries, onions, peppers, tomatoes, squash, grapes, exactly 12 apples, and finally potatoes. But I was like Aesop's grasshopper, I ate everything and preserved nothing. I'm still sleeping with the windows open, but that slant of light fills me with foreboding. Apparently I'm not the only one fattening up for the winter. Check out this cheeky little bugger.

I have to remind myself that I don't need to hibernate , all I have to do is lace up my boots and venture out into the great white world.


1 comment:

Trobairitz said...

Lets hope the snow stays away for a little while. Although kayaking with snow around would be cool. Imagine how quiet it would be.