Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Judge throws out NYC’s ban on large sugary drinks

Can't we all be adults here and admit that we're well aware that consuming large quantities of sugared pop will be detrimental to our health, contributing to dental decay, obesity, diabetes, heart disease, renal disease? As much as we love our freedoms, why is it legal to profit from the demise of others? Why don't pop bottles come with warning labels as cigarettes do? or as gmo foods should?  I'm not really in favor of making more personal infringement laws, but it might be a good idea to initiate a change for the better in our nation's collective health before we go to a universal single payer health care system, and at least this judge's actions have brought the issue into the public discourse. My life will radically change once I retire and will be survived by reduction,  sharing one car (so we'll have less insurance, maintenance, fuel costs) and growing as much food as possible to eat, preserve, and barter.  I'm hoping that being forced to ride a  bicycle more often will help keep me mobile and healthier. So, far I've only talked about riding my bike to work, but as soon as the weather breaks, I'm going to try the non motorized two wheels on the bike trail. It'll be farther than the 7 mi. distance since the trail winds almost downtown before it heads west. It goes right through Eagle Marsh though and the thought of seeing all the sounds and smells of the wetlands on the way will probably help me stay sane for another 1 year, 6 months and 2 days, minus almost 8 weeks of vacation...not as though I'm counting or anything.

No comments: