Thursday, November 13, 2014

I waffled over committing to this week's trip call. The temps were in the high 30's in the AM, but the meet-up for the shuttle wasn't until noon. I seriously considered parking my fat butt under a warm afghan with a book to read and movie to watch, but I've been doing too much of that lately. I'm glad I went even though I almost dumped and had to borrow a bilge pump and sponge and still sported a very damp derriere for the last third of the 6.5 mi. paddle. It was worth it , the Mississinewa River is beautiful with a section of limestone cliffs and steep tree covered slopes. We saw deer, kingfishers, herons, a red tailed hawk, and best of all,  a bald eagle who was bold enough to hold his perch and stare us down. There were several exciting rapids and one of those was the reason for the dampness. Somehow I managed to get stuck on top of a rock in the center of the rapid and then the force of the water swiveled  me sideways (never good). I fought to get straight and ended up coming out of the rapids backwards with a very sloshy boat, but don't count it as a capsize since technically I never left the boat but was instead joined by a quantity of water. I had to keep a brisk pace after that to keep warm and wasn't that keen on the remaining rapids, but I managed. We got together for dinner after and then the loong drive home. I seriously considered climbing right into my heated mattress pad  bed , but was afraid of the 3 AM insomnia before a workday. Every time I take my kayak out, my decision to purchase it is validated. The msg. that J sent me after he left AGAIN voiced his resentment of how I chose to spend money on my kayak that according to him should have been used to improve my house to an acceptable condition for him. I'm just betting you can guess what I think about that. If not, just know that I'm trying to be classy enough not to verbalize it.

1 comment:

Trobairitz said...

Good on you for getting out there despite the temperature. I may have been inclined to hide under that afghan.