Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Remembering

 Rich and I took a bike trip up the Michigan lakeshore, across lake Michigan on the Badger at Ludington and down the Wisconsin lake shore drive to Chicago. It was one of the favorite rides of my life, until we got to Chicago. He ran me around downtown Chicago for hours looking for the perfect lodging with onsite parking. He thought it was fun and he was site seeing.  It exhausted me. We found a nice Marriott that had restored vintage rooms, teeny but still perfect. The problem arose in the morning. It was raining and neither of us liked riding in the rain at speed, but I had to be back to meet my boys at the airport returning from Seattle. We took Western Ave. which is the longest street in Chicago. We went through innumerable stop lights just to travel safely through the rain at a lower speed. It was grueling and when we finally got to 30 I knew I had to pick up the pace to make sure I was there at the airport to meet Ben and Chrish. Rich would not keep pace. I kept waiting  for him to catch up and then he would lag behind again. It was still raining the whole miserable way.  I finally just kept going and went home leaving him to follow as he would. I had to get my car before going to the airport. I don't even remember eating, it was all sheer adrenaline and a need to be there for my boys. My boys, they're having boys of their own to be there for.  

No comments: