Saturday, October 10, 2015

I Flowed the Saint Joe

Paddled the Flow the St. Joe for the first time. I woke with a sore throat and dithered about going for a while. The temps were only in the 50's with showers predicted and I wasn't sure if I was capable of the effort. J helped me get the boat on my car and I arrived just before the ending bell for launch. Only a few people brought their own boats, most paddled livery kayaks. I paid my fee and got the boat to the launch in time to catch the last van back to my boat at the put in. I was feeling harried and not so sure of my decision, but as soon as I got on the water, all was well. This section of the St. Joe is  broad and flat and seemed more like lake paddling than other rivers I've paddled. The current was slow, but the scenery was magnificent, with the leaves still changing colors and the breeze riffling the water. When we arrived at the lunch spot we were made cozy with a log fire and a feast spread with sandwich fixings and veggies and fruit. They also had a bluegrass band to serenade the paddlers. Everything was going splendidly until it started to rain. I stood around in the rain for awhile and watched as half the paddlers opted to bail instead of going for another couple hours. I decided I didn't want to leave my boat unattended while jockeying the car, so opted to finish the paddle in the rain. I passed a couple other paddlers, but then realized that I wasn't really sure of the location of the take out, and it brought this story to mind. http://www.indianaoutside.com/conservation-officers-find-6-boaters-who-became-lost-at-night-on-northeastern-indiana-river/. The first time I heard about it I thought it was funny that someone had to be rescued from Pigeon Creek, but when I started thinking about paddling without a guide who knew exactly where the take out was located, I wasn't quite as cocky. The river banks although gorgeously beautiful are not generous with landmarks. Just as I started to worry, the event organizers puttered their pontoon up the channel to the take out. Otherwise I guess I would have just kept paddling till I got to Fort Wayne. As it was, I paddled approx. 8 mi. and was glad I braved the elements.

map

1 comment:

Trobairitz said...

Good on you for getting gout even with the threat of rain. I too would be worried about finding the take out place. Sounds like you did just fine and had fun too.