Monday, December 14, 2015

Forest healing

This weekend was filled with nature. Saturday morning I decided to check out Tel-Hy. I'm not sure if it's within Huntington's city limits or not, but if not it's very close. The nature preserve consists of two trails through the forest, one along the river bank and the other keeps to the high ground in parallel. I went early in the morning, but didn't see many creatures. I heard an eagle's scree, but the only creature I saw was this teeny tiny snail. I did notice the residual odors of a skunk's den, but thank goodness didn't see those either. Despite being so close to town the high riverbanks muted sound and it was a beautiful peaceful place to spend the morning.










Sunday I paddled the Pigeon with Jean, Nick, Ruth and her brother, Steve. He came in shorts and sandals and had never kayaked before, but of course it was me who went into the drink. That's the first time I've gotten that wet when it was cold and it definitely impressed the possibility of hypothermia into my mind. Last year when we paddled the Mississinewa in November two canoers went in, and even though they had a change of clothes they still looked miserable for the duration of the trip. I would be in much worse shape with my long hair and no way to get it  dry and myself warm. I'm realizing that my skills are not up to any challenging water, and I'd much rather capsize in the summertime. Actually I didn't capsize, instead we had to portage around a fallen tree and while going down the bank I tripped, fell and let go of my boat. The current had it out of my reach, but that didn't stop me from trying and before I knew it I was in up to my waist. Changing wet clothes in the woods was an experience I have no need to repeat, but if I keep paddling realize is probably inevitable. Jean's trying to talk me into committing to the Manistee River trip the end of May and since I'll be retired then, I just might start planning now.

No comments: