Friday, March 4, 2016

Only 73 days now, but the wait seems interminable. This last month I've learned that shortly after I retire things are going to be changed at work. Some of the changes I see as a positive and there's one biggie that I'm going to be overjoyed to miss.

They're going to change the process for buying incidentals from local merchants. Now there will be money budgeted in advance that can be spent for things such as  holiday treats, craft supplies, refreshments for programs, etc... This is a vast improvement on the current process that requires a paper copy of a purchase request be submitted  to the district manager who sends it back within the next month if it doesn't get lost in the process. Then arrangements have to be made for the manager to do the actual shopping which results in sometimes receiving something similar to what was needed a month ago. I can't tell you how many cookies, candies, balloons, paper plates, etc... I've purchased in circumvention of this policy over the years, all from my own measly salary.

The meeting room is going to receive a much needed facelift with new lightweight  tables and chairs. As the situation is now, I move all those broken down heavy furniture pieces twice a week and I have for the last 20 years.

Now, on to the change that I'm going to be overjoyed to miss:






So, when library materials are checked out, they're added to the branch collection where they're returned, then the pack mules, I mean librarians are responsible for balancing out their branch's collection by pulling, packing up, and shipping materials somewhere else. How this is going to work is anybody's guess, but I sincerely don't believe it's going to go well for either the patrons or employees. What I do know for sure is I and my tricky back aren't having any part of it. Instead I'll either be swimming at the lake, riding my motorcycle, paddling my kayak, or lounging in my garden with the bees, a book to read and a tall glass of green tea close by.

No comments: